Below are tips, inspiration, and information about books, publishing, marketing, and writing.
You’ve been writing for years and are finally ready to publish your book, but have no idea where to even start. Sound familiar? Many authors been there, and that’s why we will let you know the options in publishing, the costs to expect, a projected timeline, and professional tips for authors who would like to self-publish their books.
Are you thinking of Publishing an E-Book?
The rapidly growing e-book market has many benefits for authors. E-books provide generous royalties, without any fear of rejection letters. They can allow you to test the market before investing in a printed edition of your book. And, best of all, e-books promote reading. What are you waiting for? This is the year to jump into this exciting new market!
Advantages to Publishing an E-book
• Ebooks are quicker to publish than print books
• Ebooks are easier to update
• Ebooks are less expensive to publish than print books
• Ebooks can be distributed instantly
• Ebooks are eco-friendly
5 Writing Tips
1. Gather Your content
2. Outline your ideas including an introduction, body with headings, subheads, and bullet points, and a conclusion
3. Expand your outline with stories, facts, details, tips, and humor
4. Add sparkle with images and sidebars
5. Refine, edit, and polish your manuscript
5 Marketing Tips that Won’t Cost You Anything
1. Explore FaceBook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.
2. Speak at book clubs, local libraries, bookstores, etc. and track sales, watching for spikes after events.
3. Wear a name tag that says, “Ask me about my new book!”
4. Bring your books with you everywhere you go – and talk about them.
5. Be patient and practice gratitude.
How to Make Your Book Discoverable
Here is a tip to help you reach the largest possible audience in online searches: use the best keywords and tags for your book. Begin by brainstorming words and phrases that truly fit the subject and content of your publication.
To research your list of words and phrases, look up “google’s keyword tool” on your computer and open it. Type in your words and phrases and click the search button. Your keywords and a list of similar ideas will appear. Spelling, plural, singular, spaces, and hyphens all affect a keyword’s effectiveness. Note the search numbers and look for “low” competition and high numbers. Research each word or phrase to come up with a list of keywords and phrases to use as tags in your online accounts and blogs. This will help your publication appear in searches and attract more readers to your ever-more-popular book.
FREE Marketing Strategies to help you Sell more Books
• Maximize metadata–use keywords and tags that will help make your book easy to find in searches
• Share free e-books–through gifts and coupons–in exchange for posting reviews
• Create a landing page on wordpress.com with links to buy your book
• Blog on your website to connect and build a relationship with your audience
• Guest blog on popular sites that fit your topic–include a link to your website
Great Resources for Authors:
- Amazon print books: CreateSpace
- Amazon Kindle e-books: Kindle Direct Publishing
- E-books for Nook, iPad, libraries, etc.: Smashwords
Email Gail at